The availability of schools in Ireland is not as varied or as extensive as it is in England and to ensure you are able to secure a place in the right school for your child it is crucial to obtain professional advice.
At Boarding Schools Abroad, we offer a tailor-made service. We are completely independent, we do not charge commission from any of the schools with which we work and this allows us to find the best possible school for your child.
The Irish education system shares similarities with the English education system in terms of the interactive teaching methods that encourage student participation in the classroom.
Sport is part of everyday life at school in Ireland and include football, hurling, basketball, hockey, tennis and rugby. The arts are also intrinsic and as a result the schools we recommend have excellent facilities. They also offer numerous extracurricular activities.
AGE FROM: 11 years old
EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM: Irish Education System
SCHOOL YEAR: end August to the end of May
- Exeats (weekends): between 2 and 5 per year
- Half Term: mid-term break, minimum one week
PRICES FROM: 6,000 € / Term
Note: School books are not included in the school fees.
The quality of education in the schools we use is excellent. The classes have on average 20 students and so each student receives a great deal of individual attention. All schools have a language support department to enable international students to improve their English and so access the curriculum with more confidence. Language support lessons usually incur an additional cost.
The top boarding schools in Ireland have first class facilities and most, but not all, are located in and around Dublin, Cork and Galway.
The school year in Ireland begins at the end of August and ends at the end of May.
There are three terms in the academic year:
- First term: end of August to mid-December
- Second term: January to March
- Third term: mid-April to end of May.
At Boarding Schools Abroad we offer a bespoke service. Our advice is impartial and independent and only after fully assessing the child do we recommend the schools that reflect the needs, interests and abilities of each child.
The process for selecting the ideal boarding schools is as follows:
- Personal interview: In order to identify both the needs of the student and their family an interview is organised with our child psychologist, Susana Villaneuva, who assesses the student’s academic and personal record.
- Recommendation: Following the interview we recommend two boarding schools with places available.
- Detailed information on the school: Our boarding school recommendations include a detailed information pack on each institution including the facilities, academic and extracurricular options, sports and art, and the school calendar along with a budget for the school year.
- Registration: We manage both the documentation and payments associated with registering at the recommended schools.
- Student preparation: We assist the student in preparing for the entrance exams and interviews.
- Visits to the schools: We organise tours of the schools before a final decision is made.
- Acceptance of a place: Following the acceptance of a place we manage the documentation and payments.
Additional information and support
- Guardian service available: Sarah Goslett will act as legal guardian for students studying at boarding schools in the UK. She will be in regular contact with the schools to ensure the child is happy and settling in.
- On going support: Susana Villanueva, our child psychologist, will be available for consultations if there are any concerns.
- Tutors: If the student needs additional academic support before joining the school we can recommend UK based tutors.